Viseu International Guitar Competition
Rules and Regulation (2019)
Pianists of all nationalities are eligible, provided they were born not earlier than April 22nd 1988. Contestants who have family ties with a jury member or have studied with a jury member in the last two years will not be judged by that jury member.
The composition of the jury will be communicated to the contestants after they have correctly completed their application forms.
Applications must be made through the official competition website no later than the 15th of April 2019: www.musicadaprimavera.pt; Contestants must also submit the following documents via email to email@example.com
a) An identity document (which includes age);
b) One recent photograph;
c) Curriculum Vitae.
2. Enrolment fee
We have an enrolment fee of 75€, but applications sent and paid before March 31st, will have a deduction of 10€.
The amount should be paid in full via:
a) Bank transfer to the following account:
2.1 Travel and accommodation will be at the contestant’s expense.
2.2 Non attendance
The enrolment fee is not refundable.
3. All rounds are open to the public.
4.1 First round:
A freely chosen program of 15 to 20 minutes, which must include one Chopin Etude (op.10 or op.25) and one Bach Prelude and Fugue (Well Tempered Clavier).
4.2 Second round:
A freely chosen program of 40 minutes, including one Classical Sonata (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven) and a work composed after the year 1900 (20th and 21st centuries). The remaining time can be fulfilled with works from any period.
4.3 Final round:
A freely chosen program of 30 to 35 minutes.
Note – Repetition of works is not allowed in the different rounds.
A copy of any unpublished piece must be sent to the committee by the 15th of April 2019.
5. Arrival day
The contestants must arrive to Viseu on the 23rd of April (Tuesday) and gathering in Conservatório de Música where a draw will take place at 19h00. The playing order, once decided will not be changed.
6. The beginning of the competition
a) 1st round: April 24th at 9h30.
b) 2nd round: April 25rd at 14h30.
c) Final round: April 27th at 21h30.
The committee will invite several well known personalities, from different countries, as jury members. .
8. Admission to the second round (9 pianists) and to the final round (maximum of 3 pianists), as well as the distribution of prizes, will be based on a simple majority of votes. In case of need, the presidency of the jury has a quality vote.
The jury’s decision will be final.
1st prize – 8.000 €
– A concert at the 13h Viseu International Spring Music Festival (2019);
– A concert in Paris, at Salle Cortot, for Animato Society.
– Other concerts to be announced.
2nd prize – 3.000 €
3rd prize – 1.500 €
Audience Award – 500€
Prize for the Best Portuguese Contestant – 500€
10. Contestants will waive all rights now and at any time in the future, in relation to any type of recording made during their performances in this Festival.
11. Participation in the competition implies that the contestant accept the above regulations.
12. In the event of any disagreement concerning the rules, the only valid text will be the original in the Portuguese language.